How to: Build a new wardrobe

Tuesday, June 12, 2012
I'm in the process of rebuilding my wardrobe.   The main problem that I’ve had with my clothes in the past is that I haven’t been paying attention to what I have, haven't been filtering out what doesn't work for me.  There where things that suited me when I was 20 or 21 that should have be out of my closet before I turn 25.  Before I started buying anything, I decided to take everything out my closet and sorted it into piles of keep, reinvent, and donate.

The perfect wardrobe should take you from dawn to dusk.   It should be versatility and be able to combine, this will save you time and money.  To build the ultimate wardrobe you need to be strategic in buying:  Classic pieces, Basic pieces, and Trend pieces.

Classic pieces, like pants, little black dress, suits and jackets, should be of a higher quality because they last longer.  It's a timeless silhouette.  They one of those foundation pieces that are simple, elegant and can be dressed up or down to make you feel and look effortlessly modern.

Basic pieces, include Tees, vests, Long-sleeved tops, skirts, Jeans, and Sweaters in neutral colors that you can wear frequently.  Ideally basics should be just that - solid colors, classic cuts and nothing that makes them so unique that people can tell if you wear them twice in one week. Once you have your basics, you can use accessories to add style and make it look like you have more clothes than you really do.

Trendy pieces, are the refresher items.  They update your classic pieces and bring the "now" into an outfit.  Look for the latest trendy pieces, prints and colours to create a on trend outfit that will be unique to your style.